Friday, September 25, 2009

36 weeks--Weekly Doctors Appointment

We had our doctors appointment this afternoon, it was supposed to be at 3:45 but because of the weather & the multiple car accidents, we got there at 4. They did my Group B Strep test, and my first internal exam. Group B Strep is simply a bacteria that 10-30% of pregnant women carry. If you have the bacteria you're given antibiotics once you go into labor as not to pass it to the baby since it can cause serious health problems in the newborn. The doctor reported that the baby was in the head down position, and that I was dilated 1cm. So no "real" progress, but I guess 1cm is better than nothing! Just as I was getting up from the exam, I turned white as a sheep and laid right back down, I passed out! The doctor said that this was a common reaction to internal exams, something about the combination of the weight of the uterus and the pressure that they put on the cervix during the exam. Anyway, I felt pretty stupid!! They checked my blood pressure again, and everything was fine in 5 minutes. The whole time we were there Kane had the hiccups, it didn't even faze him! He's measuring right on target for 36 weeks, and still the strong heartbeat. I've been having contractions everyday for the past 2 weeks, about 2 an hour and about 45 seconds duration, but nothing consistent. I figure I'll have plenty of practice with them by the time I go into labor! Alright, that's all for now. I'll be updating the blog every Friday night now since each Friday afternoon is when I have my appointments from now until delivery!

No comments:

Post a Comment