Saturday, October 3, 2009

37 weeks.....Ugh.....False Alarm & Weekly Appt.

Lets start at the very beginning, a very good place to starrrrrt!!!!! Sorry I was channeling Fraulein Maria for a moment!

FALSE ALARM:

Tuesday at 10pm Contractions begin. Finally I fell asleep around 4am. Wednesday was a smooth day, a few contractions throughout the day, nothing too bad. Couldn't fall asleep Wednesday night. Thursday morning around 3am, still awake and starting to have contractions. Chip suggests that I start to time them with my handy dandy iPhone that has an application on it that records the contraction so I can track the duration and length between them. We started to time contractions at 4am. They were 5-3 minutes apart and were lasting from 50 seconds to a minute and 15 seconds. I called the Dr. and they had a recorded message that instructed you to go to the hospital if you were having these EXACT symptoms.

Once my bag was packed (had already started collecting things over the past few weeks) and we had both showered we were off to the hospital! We got there around 8:30am Thursday morning and they got me into a room up in Labor & Delivery. Blood Pressure cuff, check, Kane's heart rate monitor, check, my contraction monitor, check! I was in my little smock and all hooked up! They examined me and I was still 1cm dilated from last week's appointment!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!??! I'VE BEEN CONTRACTING SINCE 3AM AND I'M ONLY 1CM......deep breath in....out.....don't be upset with the nurse......all better. They asked me a million questions and told me they would monitor my contractions for 2 hours, and then reexamine me to see if there was any progression. 2 hours goes by, Chip and I watched the Today Show and who wants to be a millionaire. They came back to examine me....and whatdaya know.....STILL 1CM.......Defeated I crawl back into my clothes, since the last internal exam hurt like crap! I swear some internals are fine, others you feel like they are reaching inside there to grab onto your nostrils!! They said that you can be in "latent" labor, contracting at a regular pace but it have no effect on your cervix, for days! This lovely tid-bit of information made me sooooo happy. ::note sarcasm:: Feeling silly, they wheeled me downstairs, with a Vera Bradley in my lap, not baby Kane, and sent me on my way waving "See you soon!!".............

37 WEEK APPOINTMENT:

Chip and I went in on Friday at 2:30 to meet with Dr. Ruetzel for our weekly appointment. We discussed my Group B Strep results which I came up negative for, yay, just one more thing not to worry about at delivery time. We also discussed Flu and Swine Flu. They gave me the seasonal flu shot, and will give me the swine flu shot once it becomes available whether I've gone into labor yet or not. Since I was given 2 internal exams at the hospital they did not do another one, which I had mixed feelings on. On one hand I wanted to see if I had progressed ANY from the day prior. But on the other hand, I'm pretty sure there would have been no progression, and there's just this "disappointed funk" that you go into once the internal exams start, and you're continually told, "Well looks like we'll see you next week. He sure is cozy in there!". So the Dr. tells us, "I could care less if you're dilated or not, the baby will come when he's ready. All I care about is if he's head down or not." And since he is head down, no internal exam. We listened to the heartbeat, took my BP, all was well, they sent us on our way!

Chip begins his work with the Navy Reserves tomorrow morning...well actually this morning...I'm up right now, contracting & blogging to try to tire my eyes and fall asleep. Until then, I'm drinking a Canada Dry watching The 1st Wives Club! Until next time, see you next Friday. OH! I almost forgot, Sunday 10/4 is a Full Moon, we all know what that means!!! PRAY FOR DILATION!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment