Friday, October 23, 2009

40w2d--Check up--Schedule Induction

Hello Everyone! So this morning Chip and I went to our appointment all bright eyed and bushy tailed. Why you may ask?? Well being the eternal optimist that I am, I thought there maybe a chance that the Dr. would say "Ya know what Mrs. Schnabel, you've been pregnant Loooooong enough, head nextdoor to the hospital, we're inducing you TODAY!".....yeah right.....But just in case, Chip and I cleaned the house top to bottom last night, and I made lists of everything "last minute" that I would need in the hospital because I knew for sure that I'd be going to the hospital and Chip could run home and get our things and come back to join me....Well none of that happened. Here's what DID happen.

We got to the office around 10am to be taken right back for a sonogram. They scheduled this to check the amniotic fluid levels to make sure there was plenty for him. Fluid levels were great! The sonogram tech. was very vocal about what was on the screen, which is nice since not all tech.'s are as friendly and willing to educate you on what you're looking at. It was great to see him again since we hadn't had a sonogram since 20 weeks! When she got to his face, she switched it from a regular sonogram to the 3D which was an awesome surprise! Of course being my child, he was stubborn and uncooperative! She kept the 3D on for about a minute, hoping that he'd move his hands from his face, but no such luck :( Oh well, soon enough we'll see that face in person!

Next we went into one of the rooms to have the Non Stress Test. The point of the test is to get the babies heart-rate for about 20 minutes straight, measuring it's rise and fall in pattern form as it compares to his own movement and my contractions. This may sound easy, but when you've just had Chick-fil-a sweet tea, baby tends to be a little on the active side, and when he moves, the monitor drops his heart rate if it's not in the perfect place to pick it up! So for about a half hour I was busy chasing his heart rate all over my HUGE belly, getting that nasty gel everywhere, yelling at Chip saying "This is your fault, tell your child to sit still!!" haha! Well anyways, even though the patterns weren't as cohesive as they typically like, they could clearly tell that this past due baby was having no troubles with lack in movement!

Next Dr. Wright checked my cervix, which was still the same 2cm and 60-75% effaced. She said since I was already contracting and had some progress that most likely the induction would just be them breaking my water, thinking Pitocin would not be needed, but we shall see! She said most likely I'd have an induction scheduled between Wednesday & Friday of next week...WHAT?!!? This upset me since just on Monday, the other doctor told us that I'd be delivered BY WEDNESDAY....Oh well, what can you do now, it was up to the Surgery Scheduler, and off to her we went. She called us in her office, we sat, she picked up the phone and spoke to the L&D desk and said "I'm scheduling Mrs. Schnabel for an induction on Thursday 10/29 at 7:30am." Apparently there was to be no conversation with this woman on "Well what's a good day for you guys??!" hahaha Of course I thought that we'd have some sort of say in the matter, but, wrong again! We were handed a list of what to do on induction morning such as calling L&D to make sure the bed that was reserved for me was still available, and if it wasn't, every hour we'd have to keep calling back to check in. So that's all folks! We have our induction scheduled for Thursday the 29th, at which time I'll be 41w1d. Hopefully we will go into labor before then....but at this point, I'm not holding my breath! :)

Sincerely,

Painfully Pregnant!

No comments:

Post a Comment