Tuesday, October 27, 2009

40w5d--Kane's Birthday!!!

Hello Everyone! Kane has finally arrived!!! If you haven't already heard from friends, family or Facebook, here are the stats. Born October 26th, 2009 at 9:38pm. He was 21 inches long, 8 pounds 4 ounces. He's got some blond hair on his tiny little head and blue eyes! So here's our birth story, brace yourself it's a long one! By the way, let me apologize to those who have been checking the blog, only to find no recent updates :( I thought for sure I'd be able to update sooner, but between the pain killers and my sweet little boy, Ive been delayed :)

THE BIRTH STORY:
I was up Monday morning around 5am with strong contractions. I tried to change my position as well as go from the bed to the couch to see if they would die down. More time passed and I began to time these killer contractions and they were VERY consistent, about 4 minutes apart. I was very upset and crying because as most of you know, i've had some false alarms, 3 to be exact. I told Chip "If these people don't keep me, in all this pain, PAST DUE, I'M GUNNA HURT SOMEONE!!!!" Chip calmed me down and we were off to the hospital and checked into a room by 11:30am.

Our nurse checked my cervix, and much to my dismay I was STILL only 2cm. Lucky for us our Dr. was delivering a baby when I came in, so we were able to wait 2 hours till she was able to check us, which gave me that extra time to make progress. Finally at 2pm Dr. Wright came in to check me and I had progressed to 3cm! This was my ticket to FINALLY BEING ADMITTED TO HAVE A BABY!!!!! These words were music to my ears, they weren't sending me home, I was having my baby THAT day...wow...reality sets in! Dr. Wright wasted no time in breaking my water to get the ball rolling, and BOY did it! Breaking my water felt so great, it released TONS of pressure, but it was quite odd to have this "peeing" sensation for a few hours! You'll find that I say this a few times during our "birth story", I had many weird first times to experience! Over the next 6 hours I labored up to 4 cm, this not only took FOREVER, but they were concerned about how my contractions were showing up on the monitors that they kept coming in to adjust the sensor on my belly because they felt like it wasn't reading my contractions correctly. I told the nurses how the contractions were concentrated in my lower back which was AWFUL, but may also be a reason they weren't reading correctly. Then the bottom fell out, I had what the Dr. said was refereed to as a "Titanic Contraction". Now a typical contraction at its strongest usually lasts between 50 sec to 1 minute and 30 seconds. A Titanic contraction can last anywhere from 2-5 minutes LONG! Holy Crap this was absolutely the worst. I could totally deal with a minute long contraction, but once I was hitting the 2 minute mark and beyond I was crying like a baby and begging Chip to put me out of my misery! During those six hours I was able to have some I.V. pain medicine, they gave me 2 doses of Nubain which were great! haha, Chip said I looked VERY happy! But around 7:30 Dr. Wright came to talk to me about my contractions. I was having a 3 minute one followed by a 25 second one. This was a problem since it wasn't progressing in dilation, and to help progress me they would need to give me Pitocin. Also during these Titanic contractions Kane's heart rate would drop after about 1 minute and 30 seconds into it so they couldn't risk making them last any longer than they already were. This is when we had "The Talk".

"The C-Section Talk" was a very easy one I thought. She explained how Kane was distressing through those rough contractions and they didn't want him at risk. I absolutely agreed with her that OF COURSE we would be doing ANYTHING that would keep him out of harms way. She suggested that we go ahead with the C-Section rather than labor any further. With that the epidural was ordered! 20 minutes later the anesthesiologist came, and thank goodness because I had hit my pain threshold BIG TIME. The epidural was easy to get, and it felt soooo weird! It was like someone was pouring a bucket of ice cold water down my back! It took about 20 minutes for the epidural to take effect, again, another weird sensation with lack of feeling in my legs! Then once it was in effect they put in my catheter in....sooooo weird to see a pee bag dangling on the side of my bed knowing that at any moment I could just be peeing and not know it! haha By that time, all we needed to do was wait for the next C-section to clear the O.R. and it was go time!!

I had a few visitors just before I went in for the operation. My Mom, Dad and brother were all there rooting me on along with Chips Mom & brother Jamie. Also our preacher Jonathan and his wife Eileen made it just in time to say "Good Luck" to me! My Uncle Danny & Aunt Susan, and dear friends Amanda & Christina were there to help calm the nerves of the first time grandparents that were surely pacing the floor in anticipation! It was great to have all of these close people to us by our side during one of the most exciting times in our lives. Chip and I also could feel the overwhelming support of our friends and family who were rooting us on from a distance. Tons of e-mails, text messages, voice-mails, and Facebook comments were pouring in during the time of Labor and Delivery and it was so great to feel that love and support.

Shortly after 9:00 p.m. they wheeled me into the operating room, and I waved "See you soon!!" to all of my visitors. IT WAS GO TIME!!! The nurses prepped me for surgery, while Chip anxiously waited in his "HAZMAT" suit back in my room. Dr. Wright and the anesthesiologist were great at explaining what was going to happen and exactly what to expect. Lying on the operating table was pretty funny. I was in this room with about 7-8 people all running around manning their posts, and there I was BUTT NAKED lying on this table in the shape of a cross. There was a blanket covering my chest and arms, but it was just odd that my entire body chest down was completely numb! The Dr.s pinched me all over asking "Can you feel this?" about 20 different times, which was very reassuring to me! I was about 20 minutes to prep, then they began to cut. 10 minutes into the cutting, they called Chip in. I was told later on that Chip was freaking out waiting to be called in. He didn't realize it would take that long to prep and poor Chippy thought they had started without him and he had missed the birth :( aww he's soo sweet! I felt tons of pressure and I swear it felt like they were digging around in my rib cage! I was crying the entire time, I was so eager I meet my little man, my child, it was just sooo crazy to think about becoming a parent. After what seemed like tons of tugging and pulling I heard what felt like the best music to my ears, the first cry........

KANE PARKER SCHNABEL: Born October 26th, 2009 at 9:38pm 21 inches 8 pounds 4 ounces



No comments:

Post a Comment